In addition to the Spider's real-time reporting capabilities, Virtual FDR™ will log a 4D vector every 15-seconds. This flight data is recorded on the Spider and transmitted in a bundled package with the next 1-minute position report.
Virtual FDR Requirements:
- Only available for Spider 6, 7 or 8 units subscribed to a Commercial plan (Basic, Premium and Unlimited).
- You must have a power supply connected to the Spider to do the firmware update, and you will also need a reliable internet connection in your computer.
- Download and install the latest version of the Spidertracks updater:
Apple 1.3.9 updater
Windows 1.3.9 updater
- Uninstall any previous versions of the Spidertracks Updater installed on your computer.
- Install and run the Spidertracks updater downloaded in step 1.
- Plug your Spider 6/7/8 into your computer via the USB cable provided at the time of purchase.
- Wait for the updater to show the Spider information screen pictured below:
- Click the Update button and then confirm the update of the Spider firmware by clicking Yes.
- Wait for the update process to occur, after successfully updating the system will show the following screen:
- Wait for the updater to display the Spider information screen again and confirm that the Current Firmware: 126.96.36.199 (this can take up to 1 minute to load)
- Power up the Spider and wait for the green network light to display, this indicates that an Iridium connection has been established and the Spider will send the updated firmware version to the system via Iridium allowing it to start Virtual FDR high resolution tracking
- Log into your Spidertracks account and navigate to Organisation Settings > Aircraft Settings.
- Select the Aircraft that the Virtual FDR Spider is assigned to (or assign it to an aircraft if it is currently unassigned)
- In the Assign Spider section set the following:
Reporting Type = Automated Watch, Time or Time & Distance
Time = 15 seconds
Enable heading change and set value to = 30 degrees
- Save your settings. This Spider is now set up for Virtual FDR and high resolution tracking.
If you are having issues updating your Spider using the above steps then you can try using the Restore Spider option.
To do this select the menu option "Programming" then select the "Restore Spider".
Click Yes when the confirmation window below is displayed:
The application will then attempt to update your Spider with the VFDR firmware.
If you are still having issues then please contact the support team.