Virtual FDR extends the real-time flight following capabilities of the Spider by logging a 4D vector at 15 second intervals, and every 5-seconds on a 30-degree change in heading. Data is transmitted in a bundled package with the next scheduled position report. The result is a smoother track and an incredibly accurate representation of the aircraft’s actual flight path and movements.
Virtual FDR Adaptive Resolution compared with 2 minute reporting
2 Minute Tracking (red line) compared to the actual flight path (grey line)
Virtual FDR Adaptive Resolution Tracking (green line) compared the actual flight path (grey line)
Virtual FDR Requirements: Only available for Spider 6, 7 or 8 units subscribed to a Commercial plan (Basic, Premium and Unlimited).
- Download and install the latest version of the Spidertracks updater:
Apple 1.3.4 updater
Windows 1.3.8 updater
Uninstall any previous versions of the Spidertracks Updater installed on your computer.
- Install and run the Spidertracks updater downloaded in step 1.
Plug your Spider 6/7/8 into your computer via USB.
Wait for the updater to show the Spider information screen pictured below:
Click the Update button and then confirm the update of the Spider firmware by clicking Yes.
Wait for the update process to occur, after successfully updating the system will show the following screen:
- Wait for the updater to display the Spider information screen again and confirm that the Current Firmware: 18.104.22.168 (this can take up to 1 minute to load)
- Power up the Spider and wait for the green network light to display, this indicates that an Iridium connection has been established and the Spider will send the updated firmware version to the system via Iridium allowing it to start Virtual FDR high resolution tracking
Log into your Spidertracks account and navigate to Organisation Settings > Aircraft Settings.
Select the Aircraft that the Virtual FDR Spider is assigned to (or assign it to an aircraft if it is currently unassigned)
- In the Assign Spider section set the following:
Reporting Type = Time
Time = 15 seconds
Enable heading change and set value to = 30 degrees
Save your settings. This Spider is now set up for Virtual FDR and high resolution tracking.
Contact the support team if you have any issues with the update process.